You probably have seen many ads for swipe files, or step-by-step instructions to Facebook Ads and other one-size-fits-all approaches. But, the dirty secret is that in marketing, the one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work.
* Branding Is Imperative – When you use someone else’s cheat sheet, you need to ensure that you take the time to adjust it and brand it for your business. You want your audience to see what you do and know immediately that’s you.
* Quality Is Also Important – Sometimes when you buy “done for you” information it’s high quality, but it’s not your quality. That’s okay. Improve it. Make it have your words, and your ideas, and your information. Adjust things to be the quality that you want.
* Your Audience Is Different – Even if some people share similar audiences, your audience is ultimately different. When you market to your audience, you need to let them know when they consume any of your content that you thought of them and are directing it toward them.
* Stop Using Swipe Files “As Is” – When you get a swipe file, it’s to give you ideas. You can copy it to a point, but you must always consider your audience. If you don’t change some things to ensure that it fits with your audience’s expectations of you, then they’ll be confused.
* Keep Learning – Keep studying your audience, your niche, and marketing. What’s popular today may be old-fashioned and ineffective tomorrow. It’s important to continue to always pay close attention to matters that are important to you.
* Be a Leader Instead of a Follower – It’s easy to follow other people and do what they do. But, is it really working? While there are known things that work best in marketing, it’s not going to be exact. What works for one may not work for another. For example, Thug Kitchen uses foul language to promote their vegan food. But, if another business used it, it might not work at all for them. In fact, it might turn people off. Know your audience.
* Your Story Is Unique – Never forget your why. Never forget how you started. Never forget what you’re doing. Never forget who you’re doing it for. It’s imperative to tell your story as it is, the whole truth, and then incorporate other people’s ideas but always keep it real with your truth.
* Data Matters Most – Having said that, you should only measure the things that matter. Once you gather the data you can improve things that can be, drop things that can’t be, and do more of what is obviously working.
Go ahead and use swipe files for ideas. Go ahead and learn about what other people are doing that works. But, always look at it from your audience’s perspective instead of going blindly into any marketing plan. Adjust it for your audience so that it will work. Make it a unique plan that works for your business.